Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5

От Henry B. Hotz
Тема Re: Installation Report for powerpc-apple-netbsdelf1.5
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 2:20 AM +0000 8/5/00, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > I think what you're supposed to do in NetBSD is what was said earlier
> > (-Wl,-R/usr/whatever/lib).  Sounds like that conflicts with a lot of
> > people's beliefs about how to do it on a lot of other platforms
> > though.  It also breaks the "try the regression tests before
> > installing" feature.
>
>Not necessarily, since you can override the rpath setting with
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH (at least on Linux and presumably other gnu-capable
>systems).

Ah, I found it!  It's LD_RUN_PATH on this platform (NetBSD/macppc).
At least we do have the (backward IMHO) Solaris-style workaround.
NetBSD/mac68k is still using xcoff so they have a /etc/ld.so.conf
file.  That works much better for this situation.

FWIW the Linux crowd (MkLinux and LinuxPPC) are also using SysV/ELF
binaries while AIX/Darwin/MacOS X are using xcoff.  I'm really not
sure that ELF is the step forward it's cracked up to be.  I guess the
Linux folks are no happier with the situation.

It would appear that the correct thing to do for NetBSD/ELF is the
-W-R stuff and then set LD_RUN_PATH for the preinstall regression
tests.  Sorry if that makes the configure setup more complex.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.